Thursday, June 19, 2008

Congrats Vanessa!

Last Wednesday my niece graduated from high school. We had her graduation party on Friday and it was so much fun. The last time there was a graduation party it was for me back 2005. It was a great one because the Spurs were playing (they won the championship that year) and my best friend, Edie, and her mom came into town for it. They were such a great help.
However, the inevitable question on everyone's mind is why are you still teaching when you got your degree and certificate 3 years ago? My answer is sincere when I say that I'm waiting for a sign. The person I am I strive to be the best. I can honestly say that if I had wanted to be an assistant principal the following year I could have. Trinity is a well-respected university for future principals. Just based on that degree in San Antonio almost guarantees you a position. If hired I would have done a good job but in my opinion good is not good enough. I also knew that if I was to be an administrator I would want to do it back home.
I just completed my 7th year teaching and I am far from knowing even half of what I want to know. I want to be a true instructional leader. Sure I'll have people on my campus to help teachers but I also want to help. I think almost anyone can be a decent managerial leader. But an instructional leader is hard work. That is why I feel so blessed to have the opportunity to teach a primary grade. I also feel that I should teach middle school to get their perspective. I want to learn about their planning and instruction. For this reason I envy my friend, Edie. She's an instructional coordinator at my old school and I think that is such an important position. So to make a long story short. I want to be truly inspiring to my campus. When I feel like I will be an asset to my future school and students, that's when my learning will be done and I will be an administrator.
Or not. I love learning too much. So far I have 6 years TAKS experience and one year in primary so for sure I have a long way to go. I can just hear a 20 year veteran teacher..."she thinks she can criticize how I do guided reading!" My response: "Sort of."
That's why I love America. Opportunities are endless. There are so many things I'd like to do instead of being a principal. I'll leave that to another post. Maybe in a couple of years I'll be ready for the next step, or not. The world needs good teachers. I'm still working on being an exceptional teacher.
Maybe I should print this and pass it out next time someone asks: "What are you waiting for?" I simply say: "I'm waiting for a sign."

3 comments:

Jen said...

I am in AWE of your passion to become an exceptional teacher!! You are continuously wanting to grow and learn and I admire that about you!! You are right we need good teachers!! Often times the GOOD ones leave the classroom so good for you for waiting for your sign!! You amaze me!!

Patty said...

Aw thanks, Jen. Maybe I can be a teacher at your school when you're assistant principal.

Jen said...

That would be AWESOME!! I would love that!!