Saturday, November 1, 2008

Being a Good Citizen

I've always been the kind of person that likes to give. I'm not here to toot my own horn but I have to share my experience today. I've tried donating blood a few times while back home. I have been unsuccessful every time. In San Antonio I was able to but I haven't here. The first two times my iron was too low. Today my iron was really good but my blood was too slow. The girl first tried my left arm. Usually when I have blood drawn they do it in that arm and they poke the vein on the side of my arm. That vein was not giving enough blood. She also mentioned that my veins were very thin. So she moved to the other arm and consulted with two other women on the right vein. The same lady that tested my iron and asked me all the personal questions was the one that ended up sticking me the second time. She said she was going to do everything she could to find a good vein because she new how much I wanted to donate. Earlier I was very excited when my iron came back good. Anyway, as it turns out the same thing happened and my blood was too slow. So now I have a 4 hour reminder that I failed at giving blood. I have to wear those colorful bandages around my arms for another 3 hours. Not to mention that I bruise very easily, especially when I get shots and blood drawn. But hey, the girl at the counter gave me a movie pass for my effort. But now I'm on a mission. I will give blood sometime in November. I don't care if I have to go every Saturday. I will give my blood and help someone.

No comments: